Panting for His Water, Psalm 42:1ESV

Psalm 42:1 ESV

[1]  As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God.


Woman at the well, living water

John 4:1-42


John 4:13-15 ESV

[13] Jesus said to her, “Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, [14] but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” [15] The woman said to him, “Sir, give me this water, so that I will not be thirsty or have to come here to draw water.”


Refresh def:  to restore strength; to restore or maintain by renewing supply.


Refreshing: the life that Jesus wants us to live is about refreshing.  It is about renewing.  It is about returning to Him always.  It is about resting in Him. Resting in Him restores our strength.


We need to stop. Just as He stopped the rich young ruler.  


We need Jesus not things. The things of the world will never refresh us. In Matt 19:22, the rich young ruler wanted to hold on to those things because he thought those things would make him happy.  He thought he couldn’t let them go.  The strength of Jesus will help you to let those things go, the rich man's worldly things kept him from Jesus but if he had let Him in…He wants to refresh you. 


We can’t receive something we’re not willing to stop and listen to. 


I attribute most things in my life to music. I’d like to submit a song for examination because it is about refreshing, it is about God calling us to His waters for refreshing: 


Walk to the water by U2


She said it wasn't cold

She left her coat at home that day

She wore canvas shoes

White canvas shoes

Around her neck

She wore a silver necklace

It was given to me by my father, she said

It was given to me


She took the back way home

Passed the lights and the Summerhill

Turned left onto the North Strand

And on, and towards the sea

He said he was an artist

But he really painted billboards

In large capital letters

Large capital letters

He was telling jokes

Nobody else would listen to him


I saw you that day

Your lips were cherry red

Your legs were crossed

Your arms wide open

Your hair was colored gold

Like a field of corn

You were blown by the wind

You were blown by the wind


Walk, walk, walk to the water

Walk with me a while

Walk, walk, walk to the roadside

Walk me in the light


A room in the Royal Hotel

Sea facing views

A man with a suitcase

Full of things he doesn't need

I'm looking through your window

I'm walking through your doorway

I'm on the outside

Let me in

Let me love you

Let me love you

Let me


Walk, walk, walk to the water

Walk with me yeah

Walk, walk, walk to the roadside 

Walk with me again


Let me take you back to my high school days. The Lord was speaking to me then, telling me to stop running, rest and be refreshed.  When I first heard this b side from the Joshua tree album, I wasn't even saved yet, but my brother to this day, Seth, said that this song was about Jesus,  (I had set aside this song for a girl I was crushing hard on)and has always said it was since then, it became one of my favorite U2 songs then still is now. U2, Bono has always been the master of lyrical allegory, greatest songwriter of my generation, I'll die on that hill. Here are some of the allegorical aspects of this song: 


Step off the road, rest and give up the world: 


A room in the Royal Hotel

Sea facing views

A man with a suitcase

Full of things he doesn't need


My yoke is easy, my burden light, Matt 11:30. Rest, be still and know Psalm 46:10. We’re back to the rich young ruler, Matt. 19:22, A man with a suitcase, full of things he doesn’t need


Jesus talks to us everyday, a lot of us don't listen— 


He said he was an artist

But he really painted billboards

In large capital letters

Large capital letters

He was telling jokes

Nobody else would listen to him


Everything we have He has given to us—


She wore a silver necklace

It was given to me by my father, she said

It was given to me


Let Jesus love you: let Him in, stop fighting, stop running, let Him catch you, He will never stop chasing after you, let Him refresh you…


I'm looking through your window

I'm walking through your doorway

I'm on the outside

Let me in

Let me love you

Let me love you

Let me


Then Jesus told them this parable: 4 “Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Doesn’t he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? 5 And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders 6 and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.’  Luke 15:3-6NIV


Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.  Rev. 3:20ESV 


Psalm 42:1 ESV

[1]  As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God.


Are we panting for God? If you’re a lost sheep you should be panting for God. He is the only one who can satisfy and quench your thirst. You need to be at His well where you can get living water so that you will never thirst again.  Open the door when He knocks and let Him in so He can refresh you.  Let Him love you, let Him find you because His love is refreshing.  If you’re the deer, walk to the water, if your soul pants for Him. 




Comments

Misfit Preachers: Jean Larroux

Breaking the Law Series, Tullian Tchividjian

Prodigal Pastor Ministries: Does God Accept Me As I Am?

Chasing After Him: Same Amount of Grace & Love

Chasing After Him: Strength & Stronghold

Chasing After Him: Join the Blue Lantern Corps today!

Chasing After Him: Psalm 51

Chasing After Him: 2 Timothy 2:22 Run!

Chasing After Him: Ps. 127:1

Chasing After Him: 1 Cor. 9:19-23

Chasing After Him: Ps. 51

Popular Posts